Expanding Library Usage
Getting a card from home
All Allen Park residents who wish to use our digital services but either have an expired card or need to sign up for a library card can now do so from home!
Allen Park residents may fill out this form in order to remotely sign up for a library card, but renewing existing cards must be done in person during our lobby hours. The response email will tell you the next step to getting your remote card.
Please allow up to 24 hours for your card to be validated for use accessing our digital resources.
How to Get a Library Card
All Allen Park Public Library patrons must have a valid library card in order to check out materials and use some of the library's online resources. In September 2011, the library changed from blue library cards to green cards that include a key fob. If you have not updated your card, please do so at your earliest convenience.
In order to obtain a green library card, you must:
- Be a resident of Allen Park.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a valid picture ID with your current address.
- Minors in first grade or above must be able to write their first and last name and have a legal parent or guardian with valid ID with them.
The first library card is FREE and switching to a green card is FREE. Replacement cards are $5.00.
Non-Allen Park Residents
We encourage all residents of Southeast Michigan to visit their home library and register for a library card. A library card issued by a member library of The Library Network (“TLN”) will be honored at the Allen Park Public Library. If you go to school or work in Allen Park and are a resident of Detroit or Ann Arbor, you are eligible to receive a blue Allen Park library card with limited privileges. We no longer issue temporary cards.
For your protection, you must present your library card EVERY time you check out materials.
Please report lost or stolen cards immediately.
- Green Allen Park Public Library library cards will be valid for one year.
- All fines must be paid before library privileges will be renewed.
- Patrons renewing their library card will receive a reusable library bag.
- Please make sure you have your email address on file when you renew.
- Blue library card holders will need to go to their home library in order to renew their card.
Loan Periods and Fines for Library Materials
|Material||Loan Period||Fine per Day|
|Holiday Books||1 Week||$0.25|
|Reference Books||1 Week||$1.00|
|"Lucky Day" Books||2 Weeks||$1.00|
|Books on CD||4 Weeks||$0.25|
|Music CDs||4 Weeks||$0.25|
|Play and Learn Kits||1 Week||$0.25|
|Playaway Launchpads||1 Week||$1.00|
|Playaway Bookpacks||4 Weeks||$0.25|
|Playaway Lock eReader||4 Weeks||$1.00|
Library cards with more than $25.00 in lost books and/or fines will be turned over to our collection agency.
MOST materials can be renewed in person, online or by phone.
If you lose or damage an item on your account, you are expected to pay for the lost or damaged item OR you can purchase a brand new copy of the item as a replacement. Used copies will not be accepted.